POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : color of image map in POVray image : Re: color of image map in POVray image Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: color of image map in POVray image
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Nov 2004 09:40:18
Message: <coa3g4$d45$1@chho.imagico.de>
Brigitte wrote:

> I've now used an image map (jpeg image) that contains one single color
> rgb<94/255,46/255,51/255>
> If I apply no lighting, and finish{ambient 1.0 diffuse 0.0},
> the resulting color is rgb<162/255,115/255,122/255>, so it's a lot brighter
> than the original.

Did you read what i wrote?  This is perfectly normal and intended
behaviour.  POV-Ray applies gamma correction to the rendered image
according to the display_gamma setting (which is usually 2.2 on PC
Windows/Linux) if an assumed_gamma statement is present in the scene.
This is explained in detail in the docs.  Your numbers comply with this
since

(94/255)^(1/2.2) = (162/255)

For image maps you therefore have to use images without gamma correction
(i.e. linear images).  If your image is gamma corrected (like when you
get it from the web or a (cheap) digital camera) use the gamma
correction function of your imaging program for this.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______